Saturday, March 14, 2009

Fresh Veggies on the Cheap

In keeping with my journey towards becoming a raw foodist, I am trying to find ways to put fresh, organic veggies into my diet. While I cannot grow raw nuts, since I have no clue how to do that (but I have the feeling Mark will teach me how), I can buy or grow (check out my green peppers) local veggies in my never ending quest for good stuff on the cheap.


Some of us are lucky. We have incredible supermarkets (Wegman's for example- yes I am jealous we don't have one here in Stuart or anywhere in Florida) offering the very best in fresh produce available. As a matter of fact, whenever Jay and I visit family in Northern Virginia, our first trip is to Wegman's. Unfortunately here in Florida everything is shipped out of state, so we Floridians are left with the ugliest produce imaginable that has been picked too soon and trucked across the country on a cold truck in a semi frozen state. And to top it off, not only do we have poor quality and selection, but high prices. UGH.

There are options, however.

Most cities and towns have at least one local farmer's market. Typically these places are open air stands piled high with colorful and fresh veggies and fruits that were picked locally that same morning. Here in tiny Stuart there are several such markets: Barbours and Roarabecks are the 2 biggest. Barbours is, by far, the superior market, with not only more variety, but cheaper prices too. For you locals, Barbours is on Indian River Drive about a mile south of Jensen Beach Blvd. Remember to bring cash, since that's all they accept. I spend no more than 25 cents on the dollar compared to the supermarket and always walk away smiling like I've won a prize! Weird, but true. And these days, why spend more money on stuff than necessary, especially when you can get better stuff for less.

Another option is to grow your own veggie garden. Now don't go rolling your eyes quite yet. I'm not suggesting you dig up your grass, turn soil, or start composting. I'm talking about a veggie garden in pots. You don't need much space. Janet and Gino, my sister and brother in law, live in a second floor apartment home, and don't have a yard. What they do have is a small screened in patio where Gino grows tons of veggies, successfully. Not only are they saving money because they are motivated to eat what they grow, but Gino's having fun!

There are lots of advantages to a pot garden over a garden planted in the yard. First, it's portable, which for us was a big plus as we moved across town a few months back. I started my veggie garden in October and we moved in December. I threw the pots in the truck and brought them to the new house along with all the other stuff we continue to move from house to house to house. Ahhh, but I digress as that's another post all together. Back to the garden... Second, if the weather surprises you, just bring the pots inside for the night. Third, if you find the veggies aren't happy where you've parked the pots, move them to another spot. That's pretty hard to do if everything is planted in the ground. Lastly, pots can be placed away from critters that may want to eat them. We had bunnies at the old house. While adorable to watch scampering around your yard, they aren't so cute when they eat your garden.

But I think the real beauty of a pot garden is that any pot will do. Don't give Home Depot or Lowe's your money for plastic pots. I asked the bakery at the supermarket to keep the 5 and 10 gallon tubs of frosting they toss when empty. The bakery ladies were so nice. They took my name and number and called me when they had collected a bunch. FREE POTS!! We had some tin buckets in the garage we had previously used for beer and ice- those work too. Just remember you have to punch some holes in the bottom of all your buckets for drainage.

You will be surprised how many people have started veggie gardens recently. Tell your friends about your garden. I promise you there are more people than you can imagine trying it. You may even be able to swap stuff with each other.

If you think you may actually try this idea, call your local Home Depot or Lowe's. I know I just told you not to give them your money. But my Home Depot offered several FREE seminars on growing a veggie garden at home and in pots. And everyone that attended the seminar was given a ticket to exchange for a free starter veggie of their choice. I chose a strawberry plant. And Home Depot has racks and racks of seeds, both organic and non organic as well as starter plants for those of you a bit impatient. Talk to the garden guys. They know their stuff and are happy to help you.


On the other hand, some of you may decide to adorn your yard with artistic pots- you know the kind I'm talking about. Those gorgeous ceramic pots that come in all shapes and sizes and colors. Fill them with your veggies and create your own veggie art!! Our friends, Mike and Jenny, own "The Love Garden" http://www.lovegarden.us/ in downtown Stuart. Sitting in the middle of all the hustle and bustle of Stuart (well, those of you that know Stuart know that is a bit of an exaggeration) is a magical garden that Mike and Jenny have created with winding paths dotted with beautiful garden art. And soon you will find some of my art quilts there too!!

Anyway, pot gardening is not an all or none idea. Grow stuff that is easy and buy stuff you can't grow.

And please send me information on YOUR local farmer's markets- where are they located? What is best about them?

Until next time...