Sunday, March 15, 2009

In Good Company


If you run into someone that says this recession hasn't affected them, laugh out loud! This economy sucks. There isn't anyone that isn't feeling the pinch in one form or another. But since we're all in the same boat, it kind of makes it less painful, don't you think? After all, misery loves company and desperation is the mother of invention. OK, so at this point you're probably wondering what direction this post is taking, right? Well, believe it or not, I am thoroughly enjoying the recession. Let me count the ways...
(that's Jay - no shirt, and me, in the yellow-on our boat celebrating Jay's 50th birthday with an overnight raft-up with our boating friends).
  1. The concept of "Keeping up with The Jones" is vanishing before my eyes. Everyone I know is slowing down their consumption. Instead, people are bragging about how little they have and how well they are living on less. It's like a badge of honor to find cool and innovative ways to not be a "Jonesy." Downsizing is cool. People are trading in the big fancy cars for efficient small cars that they can keep "forever." Yeah, we did this too- gave up the Lexus lease and paid cash (no more car payments!) for a Subaru Outback station wagon. Of course, we did have ulterior motives for choosing the Subaru. Rachel said she wouldn't be caught dead in it.

  2. I don't have to dress up to go anywhere and I mean anywhere anymore. I'm very basic. Give me a t-shirt, clamdiggers, and boat shoes and I'm good to go.
  3. Life, for me at least, is simpler and more grounded (yeah, I am starting to sound like the new Sun Trust Bank commercials...). We're going back to basics. My new girlfriend, Georgia, had her 45th birthday party last Saturday night. I only recently met Georgia as well as most of the party goers, since we just moved to the new neighborhood. As a new member of the unemployed club, I was perplexed as to an appropriate gift to bring. Not really into the standby bottle of wine gift or spending $30-50 on some thing, I decided to make her a gift instead of buying something. Yes, I made her a gift; french purse, aka wallet. But why am I telling you this? Because when I was talking to Jenny (the Love Garden Jenny) at the party, I told her I made Georgia's gift and you'll never guess what Jenny replied. Jenny and Mike MADE Georgia's gift too. WOW!

  4. I'm biking a lot more. I'm without a car most days. Yes, we are a 2-car household, but Rachel has the second car , a used Honda CR-V, with her up at school, leaving me without wheels, well, 4 wheels anyway. I biked over the Hutchinson Island bridge to the bank and to Publix. And Tuesday I biked to the quilt shop, an 8-mile round trip. I couldn't miss out on the big St Patty's Day sale.
  5. We're getting a tax refund check for the first time in 11 years!

  6. I am back in the classroom teaching. Some of you don't know that, as a PhD in accounting, I spent 9 years teaching at the university level. Well, after an 11 year sabbatical, I am once again teaching intermediate financial accounting at our local university in the fall. I can't wait! A whole new batch of students get to experience "Scary Harry teaches accounting."

  7. I finally have time to make enough stuff to launch my own Etsy site. http://www.etsy.com/ is a great place to "buy and sell all things handmade." I will have my own "store" up and running, hopefully, in the next 2-3 weeks. More to come on that front.

  8. People, in general, are much kinder to each other these days. I had the car today and did my "big" weekly food shopping only to find a completely flat to the rim, rear tire when I left the store with a full cart of groceries. A big burly guy named Lee jumped out of his truck and offered to change my tire for me. So, there I stood, with my grocery cart, watching this very nice guy get all greasy doing a good deed for me. I shook his hand and told him how much I appreciated his help and all he said was "when you can, do something for the next guy that needs your help."

  9. I am taking time to sit and read a good book.

  10. Blockbuster rents movies for only $2 now!! Perks of the recession and Netflix.

  11. I am working on my first quilt that will be entered in a quilt show. I am taking pictures as I go, so I will be able to share the journey with you.

  12. As I mentioned before, we recently moved across town. We downsized, if you will. Jay and I talked and talked about whether we should give up the house or the boat. We have a 34 ft Searay Sundancer named "Take Two." We concluded that the boat is our floating vacation home and we'd rather give up the big house than our boat. Even when the weather is bad we can escape down below and rock the boat ( you know what I mean).

Well, I'm off to work on my quilt.

Till next time-