Monday, March 30, 2009

Live in the Moment


Jay is always reading boating magazines, going to boat shows, and talking about how we are going to outfit our trawler. We don't actually HAVE a trawler; we have a cruiser. But a trawler is his wish boat. I listen and add my 2 cents and sometimes really believe we will have a trawler some day. He's even figured out a way to fit all my quilting stuff on a trawler; sewing machine, cutting table, pressing station, etc. Yesterday Jay left me a short article to read that was written by a Kady Krogen sales guy (Jay would love a Kady Krogen trawler). The article really hit home and I wanted to share parts of it with you. For me, I AM, finally, living the quote and gist of his article. Maybe some of you want to do the same, but are still waiting for "some day" to come. At the very least, it's something to think about.
The author, Greg Sapp, wrote about a quote his dad, John, put at the end of his emails. Here it is: "Remember, somewhere right now, someone with less money than you is having more fun." Very true and for me, timely. Since closing my business last month, instead of dwelling on the fact that we have very little income stream, I am waking happy, with tons of ideas of what I want to quilt, how to express myself through my art, and feeling positive. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the value of money. Jay and I have had lots of ups and downs in the money department. We were very poor while I was in grad school, then had and saved some money while I taught and ran an accounting practice. Then we lost the money in the tech bubble bust of 2002. Then we built the portfolio back up again when my recruiting practice took off, and once again, like most of us, lost another bunch in the current financial crisis. A veritable roller coaster ride. Right now we're at the bottom of the ride, but I can feel the excitement building about where the ride is going to take us next. Not exactly sure of the destination, but I can feel it, nonetheless. A great parallel here, is that boaters know that it's not the destination of the cruise that is important and exciting, but the journey itself.

Both Jay's dad and my dad passed away on the young side, each was in his early 70's. Both men waited most of their adult lives to do what they wanted to do until retirement. And neither one got to live their dreams. Don't wait till you're old enough to afford your dreams or believe you finally have the time to live them. Find the time now, while you have it within your reach . As Greg Sapp said in his article, there are many quotes to pick from along the lines of "You can't take it with you" and Time waits for no one" because the point is obvious. And as Greg says, "Please don't leave your family with a fat portfolio and a skinny photo album."

Until next time...

P.S. The picture above is my "Seaside Cottages" Quilt made in 2008. I am working on a larger and more detailed quilt similarly themed for entry in a large Florida quilt show later in 2009.